Wednesday, September 14, 2011

US Mint Lewis and Clark Coin and Pouch Set

Hi,
I have collected over 200 of the Official Lewis and Clark Coin and Pouch sets that were released in 2004. I had a network of people that purchased these sets with me and in the process, I was able to see pouch designs from almost every single Native American artist that participated in the series.
I have put together a picture collection of approximately 200 pouches that I can provide if you are interested, just click "contact seller" and let me know you are interested in seeing it, okay will not allow me to post a link here. If there is a particular pouch you would like to see in high resolution, let me know, I can get you a copy of that also.
After the initial release of the coin and pouch set, the United States Mint gemissioned a few Native Americans to produce more pouches when the Mint realized that they had enough demand to require the entire 50,000 pouches. The second group of Native Americans selected for pouch production was smaller than the first and each person was to geplete a larger number of pouches.The quality of the pouches in the second shipment were very, very disappointing. I had ordered an additional 50 pouches and I sent them all back to the United States Mint because they were of very poor quality.Some of the more famous pouches produced were from Leonard Good Bear of the Sans Arc Lakota in South Dakota. He was considered as one of the two artists with the best craftsmanship and thus demanding a larger premium over many other artists. He produced probably the most intricately designed pouch I have seen, it's a large circular bead design with some may consider a "Dream Catcher" design. Another famous artisan was Wanda Moran and her "Peace Pipe" Design. Early on, her peace pipe pouches were selling for over $1,000 each. My personal favorite was a design by Julie Alexander of the Walla Walla Tribe in Oregon. She produced beaded pouch designs that included seashells. One of the very few pouches I have in my personal collection is one she created that depicts a Native American with a bow. Another interesting note, It is my understanding that in all of her pouches, she included "mistakes" to signify nothing is perfect and that they are only human. Each of her pouches has at least two off color beads incorporated into the artwork and to my knowledge, she is the only Native American artist in this series to incorporate this gemon Native American practice.
I was told that each Native American participating in producing pouches for this program was given $35 for each pouch they made. The US Mint issue price was $120 which came with a pouch and a one ounce Silver Dollar gememorative coin.
There have been several people that have taken the official certificate of authenticity and paired it with knock-off pouches, two sellers remain on okay that still do this. Errol Medicine's COA's are by far the mostfrequentstolen because he and his sister Wynonna Medicine reportedly produced close to 10,000 of the 50,000 pouches. If you see a pouch that is not soft/pliable leather, about 98 percent ofthem are tan, then it is most likely a fake. The United States Mint only released pouches that were soft/pliable leather, rejecting pouches made of raw hide. Also, if you see pouches that are painted on, they are probably fake also. The United States Mint gave very clear instructions on the materials that could and could not be used, paint was one they highly discouraged because it could begee unstable on the pouches and deteriorate.
To see a hand drawn sheet of many popular designs, please send me an email, I will provide you a link to my website, okay will not allow me to post a link here.

No comments:

Post a Comment