Sunday, September 11, 2011

PROPER PACKAGING FOR BUBBLE GLASS FRAMES (or ??)

Two things happened to me in one week which led to me writing this guide. The first was that I purchased a bubble glass frame for my extensive collection and it arrived damaged. Not only was the glass broken but the frame was snapped in half. The seller jammed the 14" wide frame into a box that was 14" wide and then crumpled up 10 sheets of newspaper on top of the frame. Secondly, I had a frame listed for sale and an okayer messaged me asking, "How do you justify your shipping costs? and how do you justify charging $2.00 for packaging?" "What a rip-off". Needless to say, I was quite curt with that person and she will not be bidding on any of my listings.
The shipping cost that I charge is exactly what the USPS charges me to ship your package. The packaging charge is a recoup of only a portion of my cost to package your item properly.
This is the procedure that I use to ship a bubble glass frame:
1. I insert the frame into a plastic bag and place NEW styrofoam peanuts on the back of the frame. This acts as a base inside the box.

2. I roll new sheets of bubble wrap into tubes about 24" long.

3. I tape the bubble wrap "tubes" around the outside of the frame. I tape directly to the plastic bag so that the tape does not damage the frame.

4. I fill the circular "corral" with new styrofoam peanuts.

5. I then cover the whole thing with another layer of bubble wrap. This keeps the glass protected after packaging.

6. I then form the shipping carton. I salvage good, large sheets of corugated cardboard from local stores. The larger or heavier the frame, the thicker the cardboard that I will use.

I cut and form the carton to be exactly 2" larger than the frame in both directions. Since the frame in this example is 16" x 22" x 1" thick, my box will be 20" x 26" x 4".
7. I now place the frame into the box, glass side up.

8. I fill all void spaces around the frame with styrofoam paunuts.

9. I add whatever is necessary to close the box being careful to tape all cut edges and anything that could snag and rip open the packaging.

10. Next I weigh and measure the finished package. Since I print my own lables, I wouldn't want the buyer to be charged more than I pay due to a larger or heavier package than I paid for.

11. I print (and pay for) the lable. I always ship with delivery confirmation. I always keep a copy of the shipping label (at least until delivery is geplete.
Now ... please review the procedure that I use to safely ship your treasure to you ... It costs me about $4.00 in material and between 30 and 45 minutes from start to finish. Please contact me and tell me that this is not worth $2.00 ... I dare you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment